Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics

Friday, March 16, 2007 | 2:39 pm

The Onion Statshot
Deep down, we all know it. Stats are usually very carefully organized to present something in a positive light for some interested party. They are usually as unbiased as your local politician. That doesn't mean they lie, but it may mean they corral data to "help provoke" a certain outcome.

But rarely have I seen "market share" so carefully dissected as this article. Not only does it reveal some standard cheats, but it also hits my personal sweet-spot by comparing Apple and Microsoft products.

You can get a lot out of this even without worrying about who the examples are about.

1 Comments:

At 17/3/07 9:40 am, Blogger Shocho said...

Apple is near 100% of the consumer electronics we purchase, and that's the only market share I'm interested in. I don't have to have what everyone else is having.

Nice article. I always appreciate a dumbass quote from Steve Ballmer. I don't know why they let him out of the building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home