Did I Miss Out or Not?

Monday, January 08, 2007 | 3:39 pm

Last week, I contemplated picking up a handful of Apple shares, as primarily it pretty much the only company I actually pay attention to almost daily, and with MacWorld Expo kicking-off today the expectation is higher than normal for something special during the traditional Jobs keynote. Rumours have ranged from an Apple phone partnered with Cingular, to a pocket-PC Apple, to Jobs stepping down for a leave of absence. And we aren't just talking Mac fanboy rumours here, we are talking all sorts of "analysts" and established news outlets.

The Apple rumour mill is so bloody active though that if something rumoured to appear doesn't show up, people (and the markets) seem to feel disappointed, regardless of whether the product was ever mentioned by Apple or not (e.g. the "iPhone - never mentioned by Apple officially once, but expectation is almost reverential). Spooky to think how much an entire leg of our economy (i.e. markets) is based on rumour and perception.

In the end, I couldn't get an online trading account setup and funded fast enough to buy, so now it's just to mess with my head. If I had bought, AAPL would have been around $US84.55. Today after the keynote, we get to see how theoretically rich or poor I may have become - I'll add that in the comments, and if I am theoretically rich, I will buy you all a theoretical beer. Oh yeah, happy New Year all that... I resolved to get back into a little bit more blogging action. Nothing too crazy, just enough of an outlet to keep us all sane. This resolution is non-binding.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9/1/07 4:11 pm, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Yeah, I suffered alright. About $9/share and rising.
F-it.

 
At 10/1/07 8:27 am, Blogger Brad said...

I'm shocked at how people are going crazy over this iPhone. half the features depend on getting a connection.

i think i'll wait a year or two before seriously getting an iPhone - the bugs should be worked out by then.

 
At 10/1/07 9:39 am, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Indeed, internet access and making calls are very dependent upon your network connection, but thats no different for any device.

I think Grossman said it best when he wrote yesterday: "The iPhone breaks two basic axioms of consumer technology. One, when you take an application and put it on a phone, that application must be reduced to a crippled and annoying version of itself. Two, when you take two devices—such as an iPod and a phone—and squish them into one, both devices must necessarily become lamer versions of themselves."

Anyhow, if I had bought a few shares last week when I considered it, I would have been able to pay for the cost of being an early-adopter. ;)

 
At 11/1/07 9:58 am, Blogger Shocho said...

Welcome back! That there phone looks nice to me. I could use a new phone. Sorry about that missed investment opportunity. Wish I had something clever to say here.

 
At 11/1/07 10:00 am, Blogger Shocho said...

Ooh I know! I can fight with Brad on Justin's blog.

Since when did an Apple product need two years to work the bugs out? Every Apple product I've ever bought worked better than any competitive product right out of the box.

(Okay, that one MacBook had a problem, but they fixed it right away.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home