Computing Days of Yore

Monday, August 28, 2006 | 3:36 pm

Remember your first computer? I don't know about you, but it was a wonderous time for me. All endless possibilities and surprises, rather than the take-it-for-granted machines of today where we battle the internet, web-marketers, the hardware, the OS and half the applications as much we profit from having them (assuming you are a Windows user of course :)

I skipped the Commodore Vic-20 in my computing hey-day, going from the locally made Radio Shack style Dick Smith VZ-200 (with its 6K of RAM and no storage device) straight to the revolutionary Commodore 64 (what a machine), before graduating during college (with a loan from my grandma!) to what was one of the greatest machines of its day, the Commodore Amiga A1000. The next computer I bought after that was, believe it or not, last year (always having had laptops from my employer) when I got myself a delectable iMac G5.

It's hard to believe things have changed so much in the last 20 years. Yes, I am getting older and crankier. So this old 30-sec spot for the precursor to a great computer, hosted by a great (?) Canadian, is just priceless to me.

1 Comments:

At 29/8/06 4:41 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Nearly made me cry ...
But it wasn't my first, it was a TRS80 pocket cmoputer. I saved up my money from my paper run and went up to the local tandy (australian for radio shack) and bought one. 2Kbytes of ram, 24 character LCD display. And today I work on teraflop gpus driving megapixel displays.

You can see it here. http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-pc.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home