Reds Repel Roman's Royals

Monday, November 07, 2005 | 10:56 am

[fLETCHER celebrates]
Is that GiGi in the crowd wearing the Reds shirt?

To think, I almost didn't watch it.

I agonized over whether to dump another $20 into Fox's burgeoning coffers in order to watch Manchester take on the reigning premiers Chelsea. A recent form slump with 2 embarassing losses didn't fill with hope, and Chelsea have the best record at Old Trafford of any team in the Premiership. I reasoned though that this is what supporting is all about (supporting Manchester that is, not Fox). And let's face it, after my drinks out Saturday night and my 8am kick-off at Princess Anne with a 9 man-team Sunday morning, me and the couch had some inevitable time together scheduled. I must have stared at the Purchase Now screen for about 3 minutes before buying.

Unlike the fortress of years gone by, Old Trafford has yet to produce a win for us this season -- but all that changed Sunday. The lads acquitted themselves with sheer dedication and a deafening level of support form the 67,000 at the ground (as well as some couch-leaping screams from my place). A delicate Fletcher header as well as a point-blank Van der Saar save to deny Lampard brought home the bacon, and gave the Blues not only their first defeat in about a year, but also their first goalless game this season. That was the Man U of old. After questioning him in my last post (it's been 2 weeks? yowza!), I must give full props to Alan Smith for a bulldog performance that keep the much-vaunted Chelsea midfield out of the game. This game reminded me of our 4-1 win against Arsenal last year which turned our season around and broke their wining streak, and their spirit. This one felt like a Cup Final, including a heart-pounding 4 minutes of injury time. Whew!



Kudos to The Brad for another Granby pub crawl last Saturday. Guided by "the list", we cruised a bunch of locales and proved Squarepants theory right that she is becoming a lightweight. Other highlights included:
  • a conversation with a bartender about her bra and breasts that had three guys nearby pulling their jaws off the bar;
  • Brad slurring like a madman by the time we got to "Quinos";
  • Me trying to tell a girl that she was the spitting image of an actress, naming three movies of said actress to blank stares, and then finally remembering same actresses name about 3 minutes after I left the bar. Typical. Toni Collette by the way.


  • Work - busy getting busier. Another ex-Decipherean started work here today also. I think that puts us in the lead for D-count. Gorgeous wife (GW)- back into the travel mode. Things to look forward to: a Thanksgiving with Gorgeous wife and me old mucker JQ in Portland, OR. Should be a blast, and all paid for by the wife's company. Mucho gracias LAWL.

    With GW home for one night, and having troubles finding agreement on the Sunday night TV schedule, we began to wonder when BSG was gonna make its return, since that is a show we truly both enjoy together. TV slops then when we discovered that the series doesn't restart till January. WTF? [Family Guy PTV]

    TV props though to Family Guy for the best opening titles I have seen in a long time in their "PTV" episode. Police Squad meets pop-culture, and a hilarious episode to boot.

    Last weekend was a trip to Teaneck NJ for a wedding - as expected we had a blast. A funny Amercian Football related story of that weekend to come, and a few photos to boot. Sorry about the recent hiatus!

    4 Comments:

    At 7/11/05 5:24 pm, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

    It was purely accidental that I referred to "Arsenal" and "wining" in the same sentence, but now that I have noticed it, I am leaving the typo in. :P

     
    At 10/11/05 7:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't wait for the funny Amercian Football related story

     
    At 10/11/05 9:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    either:

    "my light-weight is due to my advancing years"

    -OR-

    "i just don't have as many years drinking as some of you old fogies."

    you choose!

    kyntbt

     
    At 10/11/05 11:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK, Pakes. I'll give you the win on Chelsea. Congrats.

    However, Arsenal ain't pullin' up too far behind Man U currently so I'd watched it. Now granted, we've got a few tough games up ahead (Wigan and Bolton) so time will really seperate the Boys from the Men.

    At least we know how to play a game on home turf...

    Q

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home