Woof Woof.

Monday, October 03, 2005 | 11:23 am

I am one of those people that listen quite literally. I often throw back literal retorts to standard expressions and those little clauses that people include when they don't have something to say. I once spent a whole night at a bar counting the number of times a girl said "like" (an expression I am guilty of also). She ran into double figures per sentence. It's a curse though, as once I started paying attention, I could think of nothing else, and remember none of what else she was actually saying.

And when I haven't muted the TV commercials, I am amazed at how some marketing mopes today seem to write paragraphs full of catchy buzzwords, but never actually listen to them once they are all in a sentence. Maybe this is due to the review process where every manager/editor makes an edit and you lose all sense of continuity, but sometimes it's like they assume no-one is really listening that hard. Perhaps consumers are like dogs, they react more to vocal tone and colours than the actual content of what the advert is saying.

My current peeve is a Revlon commercial, I think it features Halle Berry. The voice-over remarks "preferred over the leading brand!" Now, wouldn't this make it the leading brand?

On a completely different note, this link is to my immigration lawyers site, where they maintain a small page of outrageous cases. Big Mouth is funny, but Cheaper To Keep Her is a truly astounding example that high-falutin' occupations like judges maintain no stranglehold on common-sense or IQ.

1 Comments:

At 3/10/05 9:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

preferred over the leading brand!
Ha! I'm embarrassed that I never noticed that before!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home