Reliving the 80's... the 1680s!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 | 7:52 pm

[warning]

NY Times covered some research by a political scientist, Dr. Miller, concerning his ongoing research into adult Americans and their understanding of basic scientific principles. For example: "One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century."

Coincidentally, I stood amongst three work colleagues today, none of whom could tell me what the capital of Canada was. A common question I throw out at parties, sometimes for fun, and sometimes just to be a supercilious prick. Indeed, one workmate didn't even guess a city, but a province.

The article carries some great comments about the gaps within the educational system, and the weaknesses of school funding, including his personal tale of a fruitless quest to save his local school. My favourite quote is easily the last one though:

"But not everyone is happy when he says things like that. Every time he goes on the radio to talk about his findings, he said, "I get people sending me cards saying they will pray for me a lot."

There's a correlation there that I am not brave enough to state, but is further validated by nearly everything Pat Robertson says.

And never forget: "There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics." So what are the stats for Australian adults? Well, we may not be the smartest race on earth, but we are smart enough not to publish that research. ;)

7 Comments:

At 1/9/05 8:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft blogger draws fire for criticising Massachusetts OpenDoc policy
Microsoft Office program manager Brian Jones may have gotten more than he asked for when, in his blog, he attacked the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for moving to the OASIS-backed Open Document file format for ...
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a potato pie recipe site/blog. It pretty much covers recipe related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1/9/05 8:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wel, the debate on this topic is cool. I now have a new recipe for potato pie....

My favorite quote was from a survey of American knowledge of geography which asked American high schoolers to identify places on the globe. The article said "This is the lost generation - they have no idea of where they are"

I wish I could find the source, but I have potato pie to cook.

 
At 2/9/05 2:25 pm, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

What if my health issue stems from the potato pie?

 
At 2/9/05 9:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Alzheimers so you'll never remember.

 
At 4/9/05 11:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks that the opening comment of this was a spam blog.

Regardless, I got your subtle slam. However, to label Americans as a whole based on Pat Robertson would be akin to me saying that "All Australians are criminals". I can only imagine that if I were displaced down under I would snicker at the fact that you guys still worship royalty. :)

 
At 5/9/05 12:27 pm, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Trust me, I wouldn't deign to compare *anyone* to Pat. He is an amazing fellow, amazing in that a complete wally has so much control over this state I live.

 
At 9/9/05 12:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are many Aussies who think Syd. or Melbourne is the capital, which is pretty disgustng considering that the capital is the A.C.T - which of course stands for "Australian Capital Territory"!
Oh, and by the way - 'supercilious prick' is a damn good description, and one which i will hold you to! Sis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home