Meanwhile, Back In The Real World

Friday, July 15, 2005 | 12:59 pm

I carelessly interrupted my decreed dormancy by sending my resume to a company that a few mates had migrated to, and who are in a growth spurt. Well, this week they offered me the position. A position that pays about 25% more than the last company (who, let's face it, were not exactly paying anyone's worth, let alone keeping up with inflation), are web-technology focussed, and deal with 'lifestyle' industries like RV and boating.

Great news! So why does it feel like "just a job" this time?

Perhaps because my last move was a getaway from corporate-cubicle life for "fun and travel".

Don't get me wrong, The Big D was a stupid place to work for a lot of the early years (cheers marketing) and the later years (cheers snr management). But you could deal with this because it was a fun industry, there were some choice mates, the SWCCG players and volunteers were a blast (most of the time!), and by the end, there where enough smart people working at the company to bitch to without being ostracized for being 'negative'. By then, the silliness of many things they were doing was "out of the closet".

Two other intangibles about my ex-employer will be sorely missed. Things we got so used to, that not having them will be like missing a leg. The lunch-time soccer (new employer has lots of space to play, but no showers nearby...), and the bliss of walking to and from work. Courtesy of the Google satellite, here's how small it all was for a while there.

Sigh. Growing up is hard to do.

4 Comments:

At 15/7/05 5:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming you've accepted, congratulations mate!

 
At 15/7/05 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to the above....big hugs x x x

Ma.

 
At 17/7/05 11:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it mate! When do you start? Any opp to elaborate on the work? Just e-mail me!

 
At 20/7/05 7:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere in this post, I think maybe you said you got a job, but I don't know where. If congratulations are in order, please have some of mine!

We're all making posts like this on our blogs these days, and I complained until I made one, but now I'm trying to be cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home