A Lesson In Piss

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 | 3:52 pm

The new job has begun, if a little quietly due to this week being a training week. Impressions are both good and bad, when compared to the last company I worked for, but in all respects, it is a run like a real company. More on that later.

The unexpected bonus I have found this week though is that all my Australian stories are valid again, as are all the hackneyed observations about American dichotomies that my previous workmates would groan their way through.

So in today's discussion of how many different meanings the word piss(ed) has to an Aussie, I came up with the following rapid summary:

I am pissed that after getting pissed I had to piss while it was pissing down.

Each use of the word above means something different. See how many you can determine (no points will be awardede to Antipodeans or Poms).

5 Comments:

At 27/7/05 7:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groan.

 
At 27/7/05 7:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antipodeans? Too. Big. Of. A. Word. Must. Leave...

ALthough I like that short/to the point post ;)

 
At 28/7/05 7:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and angry, drunk, urinate, raining. Good quiz, though.

 
At 28/7/05 8:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While studiously avoiding other answers that may have appeared in earlier comments:

mad; drunk; pee; raining hard

Did you miss one, or is this one an English thing:

"Taking the piss", which I've been given to understand means something like being knocked down a peg or two.

(Learned that one from Dave Gorman, a guy some of you may remember from Are You Dave Gorman?)

Am I getting my countries who speak English other than the US mixed up again?

 
At 28/7/05 9:45 am, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Bonus points for Kathy! "Taking the piss" means to make fun of someone, usually subtly or using irony.

E.g.
Me: "Should be no problem for a renowned ladies man like yourself!"
Other Bloke: "Are you takin' the piss?"

Cheers,
Juz - not Dave Gorman, but many people were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home