Classic Carrs

Friday, July 29, 2005 | 12:29 am

Jimmy Carr, an English comedian who you may have seen on Comeday Central hosting "Distraction", comes across on stage like a Rhodes scholar crossed with a butler. His routine has a very wordplay feel, chock full of quick one liners and rapid-fire puns. On stage, he never breaks into a smile, and is not a warm character, but more a classic straight man without the physical comedy. Here's a few favourites of mine from his half hour of standup on CC:

[Jimmy Carr]

I met a girl at a party whose name was Pitanka. I said "That's an unusual name, you don't hear that very often." And she said 'I do'.

Ladies, if you have a burning sensation when you pee, it is one of three things: One: a urinary tract infection. Two: a bushfire. Or three: someone is talking about your vagina.

My wife asked me "Are you having sex behind my back?" I said "Who did you think it was?"

I live near a remedial school, and there is a sign by the road that says "Slow Children." That can't be good for their self-esteem.

And my absolute favourite: "If we are all Gods children, then what's so special about Jesus?

2 Comments:

At 29/7/05 7:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is good stuff. I'll keep an eye out for this guy, I'm anxious to see his delivery. That's the difference between Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg for me, since both are funny in print, but Mitch for me was much funnier in person. We used the "Slow Children" joke for years back home in St. Louis. Nice to see some national play there.

 
At 30/7/05 9:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit, I wish I still had the TIVO...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home