Ok Computer More Than Ok

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 | 8:17 pm

[ Ok Computer Album Sleeve ]

Caught a snippet on BBC News that the US music mag Spin has voted Radiohead's OK COMPUTER (1997) as the best album of the last twenty years.

Gratifying news to me, as besides being a fan of many Radiohead recordings, this particular album holds a special place in my heart as the soundtrack of my travels during my 4-month backpacking the cities of North America in 1998. I had a sturdy all-metal Sony Walkman (tape!) with a selection of about 10 essential magnetic music-holding accessories buried in my backpack, but found by the end that OK Computer lived inside that equipment about 75% of the time. Thank Apple for iPod!

[ Audio Tape ]

Indeed, Radiohead holds position #2 in my list of "Greatest bands I've never seen".

And I did go so very close to catching them during that very backpacking trip. Leaving Universal Studios Park, Los Angeles, after an exceptionally long day of walking and rides with my then girlfriend and travel partner Georgia, we passed a large crowd streaming in. Since the park was closing, we asked where they were going. Radiohead were playing that night in some ampitheatre within the park!

I considered chasing a scalper for a ~$200 ticket, but there were complications. One — we were both exhausted, and Georgia stated she did not have the energy. She said she'd be more than happy for me to go and she would make her way back to the (seedy) hotel on Sunset Strip. This was an unacceptable position for a purpoted gentleman like myself! Second complication was that this was week 2 of our trip, but week 1 was spent skiing in Vail, Colorado. Needless to say, an expensive start to a 4 month 'budget' trip.

So the concerns won out, and I passed, even though Georgia, bless her wise-beyond-her-years Confucius self did try to encourage me to go, saying it may be a rare opportunity that I wouldn't want to regret later.

It's later, and I kind of regret it.

Favourite OK COMPUTER track? Mood dependent, but hard to go past Subterranean Homesick Alien at any time.

Oh, and the elusive #1 on my "greatest band I've never seen" list? Let's just say that I'd give my eye-teeth for 2 tickets to the Live 8 concert in London next week.

6 Comments:

At 24/6/05 4:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which teeth are your eye teeth?

Beware RH might stink live. Thom's vocals have been esp. weak when I've seen them on TV, and they released a live album ("I Could Be Wrong") that sounds like a mess.

I love 'em too. This and Kid A are outstanding. If it requires studio production to make records this good, I'm happy to forego their live show.

The grass is always greener!

 
At 24/6/05 5:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. Fully agree about this album. Classic.

 
At 24/6/05 6:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what you were all talking about....

Aussie Askew's Mum

 
At 26/6/05 12:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day, Justin's mum! Or is it goodnight right now?

--Another damn foreigner.

 
At 26/6/05 5:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day thisismarcus...it is a bright sunny morning 'down under' and the first month of winter!! perfect.....

AA's Mum

 
At 30/6/05 4:49 pm, Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Eye teeth are the sharp, vampiric type ones. And how do I get my mum into Radiohead? Tricky... (hey ma)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home