I See Your Schwarz Is As Big As Mine!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 | 11:02 am

What possesses me to stay up until 2am watching a movie I have not only already seen, but deciding to watch it on (ugggh) commercial TV? There I was last night, watching SpaceBalls in all its language-edited, non-widescreen, commercially-interrupted lack-of-glory. [Dark Helmet]

The great irony of this is that I own this movie on DVD, and have never watched that particular disc. I picked it up for under $10, and there it sits, 7 feet from my couch, looking all Laura Palmer.

Has my laziness reached such heights that I will slouch in front of the idiot box, zombified by whatever is on?

Without giving that too much thought (since I have three months of decreed dormancy ahead!), my favourite scene is still the part where Dark Helmet and his Commander decide to determine where our heroes have gone by watching the video-cassette version of the movie they are making. It seems that in the future, the rental industry has finally got a little bit faster than the pirate industry.

And the line that made me laugh out loud last night? This one:

[Ominous red lights start flashing; sirens and klaxons echo around the starships bridge]

President of the Galaxy: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?"
Dark Helmet: "That's the self destruct! It's irreversible!"
President: (mumbling) "Just like my raincoat."

Yep. Sometimes it's just that easy.

3 Comments:

At 23/6/05 10:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is just something different about watching a movie on tv, even when you own it.

 
At 24/6/05 4:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its that you're sharing in the experience with other people.
"Did you see Spaceballs last night?"
"No, but I have the DVD."
"I love the part where--"
"I haven't watched it in ages."
"This is going to be a short conversation."

 
At 25/6/05 7:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes the bit with the videotape is the best. I love that.

I call this phenomenon "Incoming Movie Syndrome," which somehow means that your brain thinks that if it's being broadcast into your house, it's better than you watching the DVD you own. It might have to do with the fact that somebody else picked it and not you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home